Thursday, May 24, 2007

Restoring Methodism

I have been reading so much for the sermon series on Family Matters that I haven't been able to read as much outside of those specific topics. I am looking forward to reading a bit more broadly after this week's sermon is in the books.

I did read the first few pages of Restoring Methodism: 10 Decisions for United Methodist Churches in America this morning. It looks like it is going to be a very interesting, worthwhile read. The list of recommendations is certainly interesting and impressive with 5 bishops, Dr. Lovett Weems Jr., Dr. William J. Abraham, Adam Hamilton, and others.

Here is the quote that grabbed my attention, and convinced me to read the entire book:

John Wesley can continue to change your life for the better.

It is not that Wesley himself changes us; it is that he continually points away from himself to the Trinity... Wesley is not the answer, but he takes us to the answers.

The Wesleyan doctrine (teaching) and discipline (rules and forms of ministry) create the vehicle to take us, individually and corporately, to the life and power that is promised in the faith
(xiii).

I am planning on blogging my way through this book. Have you read it already, or heard anything about it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: