Sunday, June 3, 2007

Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone

This morning I heard a great story that reminded me of how often I miss out on God's presence simply because I am not willing to go where the Lord wants to send me. Especially when it comes to going on mission trips, it is amazing how often we are initially reluctant, or unwilling, to go. Yet, often times, if I decide to take a step in faith, I find that God is already there.

Have you ever experienced something like this? I will never forget the first short-term mission trip I went on. I thought I was doing something really special. But what surprised me the most about the trip was that I found that serving God was more fulfilling than anything else I could do. That first trip was more fulfilling, more rewarding, and more fun than anything else I could have done during Spring Break my sophomore year of college.

I guess I need to be honest enough to admit that every mission trip I went on was not a mountaintop experience. There were trips that were not nearly as memorable. But looking back, I think that was because by then I thought I knew what to expect. Going on a one week mission trip had become rather, well, comfortable.

Is there something that has been in the back of your mind for awhile? Something that keeps coming up, but maybe you are afraid to try? What if that is the voice of the Lord, calling you out of your comfort zone? Are you willing to take a risk for your faith?

2 comments:

Matt W said...

It is important for pastors and congregations to remember that sometimes people are leaving their comfort zone to visit their church. For people who are comfortable in the church setting this is easy to forget.

Kevin Watson said...

matt w -

thanks for the reminder. you make an excellent point.